- Take advantage of this unique, once-a-week opportunity to explore the Appian Way by Segway as it closes to car traffic!
- The Appia Antica is filled with over 2000 years of fascinating history. You’ll encounter legendary churches, ancient Catacombs and crumbling ruins.
- Enjoy a 3-course lunch (on us!) right on the Appia Antica.
Interested in a Private Segway Tour? Just select one of the ‘Private’ options in the “Option” drop down on the booking form. Cost is 130€ per person. Note: It is not possible to book a private tour together with discounts or promotions.
You’ve probably heard the popular phrase “all roads lead to Rome.” Now is your chance to experience one of the roads that inspired that quote: the famous Appian Way. One of Rome’s most ancient and strategic roads, it still connects Rome with Brindisi in southeastern Italy – a long way away. You don’t need to go so far south to get a true taste of the Appia Antica. The road closes to vehicle traffic once a week on Sunday, clearing the way for exploration by Segway! You’ll experience the beauty, serenity and famous monuments that continue to make the road famous today.
Your tour departs from our office, conveniently located a short walk from the Colosseum – and very close to the start of the Appian Way! You’ll enjoy a brief and easy training as you discover just how easy it is to learn to ride a Segway.
As we make our way out of the Colosseum area and towards the nearby Appia Antica, we’ll pass through the Celio, one of Rome’s original famed seven hills. Here we’ll glide past the Terme di Caracalla (the Caracalla Thermal Baths) on our Segways. The baths were once Rome’s second largest and have been stunningly preserved, an impressive feat considering they date back to 212AD.
Soon we’ll be rolling down the ancient paving stones of Via Appia itself. With no car traffic to interfere with the route, you’ll enjoy a relaxing itinerary at a leisurely pace. More than two thousand years of fascinating history lie beneath these very stones. It was here Spartacus was crucified along with his army, early Christians buried their dead here in massive underground catacombs, and during World War Two, Allied and German forces used the road as they fought for control of Rome.
Stops along the Appia Antica include the impressive Porta San Sebastiano, which signals the ‘gateway’ to Rome at the start of the Appian Way. We’ll experience the “Domine quo wadis” church, made famous by a the legend that the apostle Peter, who was fleeing execution in Rome, met a vision of Jesus here which led him to turn back and face his destiny as a martyr. We’ll see large swaths of green under which lie ancient Christian burial grounds the size of small cities. At Capo di Bove, we’ll come face to face with an archeological site dating back to the 2nd century AD containing the ruins of thermal baths. At the end of our itinerary, before heading back to the office, you’ll enjoy a 3-course lunch at a spot right on the Appia Antica (on us!).
At each stop you’ll enjoy a presentation on a personal iPod, which you’ll be provided with at the beginning of the tour. You’ll discover fascinating facts and curiosities about each of the spots you’ll visit in a modern and entertaining audio-visual presentation – created uniquely for this tour!
If you are looking for a unique way to visit Rome’s most famous and historic road – we’re sure you’ll love our eco-friendly Sunday Appian Way Tour by Segway including Light Lunch! You’ll cover more ground and see more without the effort it would take the cover the same route on foot. All tours depart from and end at our office near the Colosseum where a bathroom, free Wifi, water and caffé are available to all of our guests.
- Minimum age to ride a Segway is 16 years
- Customers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Riders must have the ability to make motions such as climbing and descending stairs without assistance
- Segways are not suitable for guests who weigh under 100 pounds (45 kilos) or over 250 pounds (113 kilos)
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes
- Please do not carry large bags whilst on the Segway
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Please note: We do not visit the inside of the Colosseum or Roman Forum on this tour.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your best smile!
- Comfortable shoes
- To enter Rome's churches, shoulders and knees must be covered.
- Tour goes forward, rain or shine (don't worry, if they are needed - we'll bring the poncho's!). If you would like to cancel your tour or modify the date, we require notification at least 72 hours before your departure time. Refunds will not be provided for changes or cancellations made after this time.
*Please arrive at our office no less than 15 minutes prior to departure time.*
The EcoArt Office is a few blocks walk from the Colosseum on Via Celimontana 30/32 in Rome, Italy.
From the exit of the Coliseum (Colosseo) Subway (Metro B line ) go left on Via dei Fori Imperiali. Reach the traffic light and make a right turn, crossing the street, then turn to your left and cross the street again. The street you see on your right side (Restaurants) is Via San Giovanni in Laterano. Take it, walk straight ahead and turn right at the second street onto Via Celimontana. Two blocks up the hill on the left hand side you will find us at n.30/32
Rome by Segway / EcoArt Office
Via Celimontana 30/32