- Trastevere is known as Rome’s most beautiful neighborhood. The narrow, winding alleyways and carless streets make this the perfect place to explore by Segway!
- Enjoy one of Rome’s most stunning views from atop the Gianicolo Hill, a favorite local spot.
- At the conclusion of your tour enjoy a lunch of typical Roman dishes at our handpicked restaurant.
This tour is available only as a private experience! Cost is 170€ per person for a minimum of 2 people. Note: It is not possible to book a private tour together with discounts or promotions.
If you ever fantasized about what a classic alleyway or piazza in Rome should look like, you have already pictured a street in Trastevere. This magical, medieval labyrinth of winding streets with its colorful palazzi and lively squares has maintained its small-neighborhood charm for centuries. Today, Trastevere is the go-to spot for locals for a pleasant evening out among friends at the many wonderful bars, café’s and restaurants lining the picturesque streets. Join us and experience Rome from a local’s point of view on our Trastevere Segway Tour including a typical Roman lunch.
Your tour departs from our office, conveniently located a short walk from the Colosseum. You’ll enjoy a brief and easy training as you discover just how easy it is to learn to ride a Segway! After the 30-minute training session we’ll head towards Circus Maximus. In Ancient Roman times, this was the site of chariot races. Of course, our idea of a ‘chariot’ takes on a decidedly modern twist as we glide past on our Segways.
Soon we’ll find ourselves in the heart of Trastevere. Aboard our Segways, we’ll explore the area’s characteristic alleyways and pass through the famous squares or Piazzas Trilussa, Santa Maria in Trastevere and even Piazza San Cosimato, home of Trastevere’s local open-air market. The area is a pedestrian paradise and most of the areas we’ll visit have been closed off to traffic, making our Segway ride particularly pleasant. We’ll see locals going about their daily lives, crowds of friends meeting up in the piazzas, laundry strung up on lines hanging over alleys, and neighbors calling to each other from their windows. This is the quintessential Rome you dreamed of.
After we’ve had time to soak up the festive atmosphere of Trastevere, we’ll head up to the top of her hill: the Gianicolo (Janiculum). This is the second tallest of Rome’s many hills; from here, the panorama over the city below is simply stunning. With ample time to enjoy the view, we’ll visit Fountain dell’acqua Paola, an impressive monumental Baroque fountain dating back to 1612. Our itinerary has also been perfectly timed to catch a Janiculum ritual that dates back to 1847: daily at noon, a cannon shot is fired in the direction of the Tiber river to signal the exact time. In the past, the cannon shot signaled the belltowers of Rome’s churches to start ringing.
On our way back to our office, we’ll catch a glimpse of Tiberina Island (a tiny island located in the middle of the Tiber River) and the Colosseum before heading to lunch. We have handpicked a restaurant where you can relax and enjoy a typical Roman meal.
At each stop you’ll enjoy a presentation on a personal iPod, which you’ll be provided with at the beginning of the tour. You’ll discover fascinating facts and curiosities about each of the spots you’ll visit in a modern and entertaining audio-visual presentation – created uniquely for this tour!
If you want to visit Rome’s most quintessential quartiere – we’re sure you’ll love our eco-friendly Trastevere Segway Tour! You’ll cover more ground and see more without the effort it would take the cover the same route on foot. All tours depart from and end at our office near the Colosseum where a bathroom, free Wifi, water and caffé are available to all of our guests.
- Minimum age to ride a Segway is 16 years
- Customers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- Riders must have the ability to make motions such as climbing and descending stairs without assistance
- Segways are not suitable for guests who weigh under 100 pounds (45 kilos) or over 250 pounds (113 kilos)
- It is recommended to wear comfortable shoes
- Please do not carry large bags whilst on the Segway
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Please note: We do not visit the inside of the Colosseum or Roman Forum on this tour.
WHAT TO BRING
- Your best smile!
- Comfortable shoes
- To enter Rome's churches, shoulders and knees must be covered.
- Tour goes forward, rain or shine (don't worry, if they are needed - we'll bring the poncho's!). If you would like to cancel your tour or modify the date, we require notification at least 72 hours before your departure time. Refunds will not be provided for changes or cancellations made after this time.
*Please arrive at our office no less than 15 minutes prior to departure time.*
The EcoArt Office is a few blocks walk from the Colosseum on Via Celimontana 30/32 in Rome, Italy.
From the exit of the Coliseum (Colosseo) Subway (Metro B line ) go left on Via dei Fori Imperiali. Reach the traffic light and make a right turn, crossing the street, then turn to your left and cross the street again. The street you see on your right side (Restaurants) is Via San Giovanni in Laterano. Take it, walk straight ahead and turn right at the second street onto Via Celimontana. Two blocks up the hill on the left hand side you will find us at n.30/32
Rome by Segway / EcoArt Office
Via Celimontana 30/32